Skip to content ↓
Purford Green School

Purford Green School



PURFORD GREEN PRIMARY SCHOOL Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

For a variety of reasons some children may experience difficulty in their learning and may have Special Educational Needs at any given time.  They may need extra help in a range of areas.  For example:

• reading, writing, number work

• understanding, processing and retaining information

• expressing themselves or understanding what others say

• making friends or relating to adults

• following the behaviour policy in school

• organising themselves

• sensory needs; visual; hearing impairment or physical needs.

The school has a policy for children with Special Educational Needs/Disabilities and a SEN/D information report that follows. The SEN/D Code of Practice for both of these can be found on the website.

• The majority of children will have their special needs met in class, by work which is planned and differentiated, at the appropriate level.  This may include special resources or additional support from a teaching assistant.  

• Sometimes it is necessary to seek the advice of the Specialist Services to support the following areas; Learning Difficulties and Disabilities (LDD); Autism and Social Communication (ASC); Physical and Neurological Impairment (PNI); Speech, Language and Communication (SLC) and Social Emotional Mental Health Team (SEMH). The Educational Psychologist (EP) may also work with your child. Their advice will help the school in planning appropriately and providing the best resources for your child.  

• Occasionally outside agencies are needed such as; Aspire Academy – who specialise in positive behaviour.  Emotional Wellbeing and Mental Health Service (EWMHS) may be requested also.  

• A very small number of children may have more complex and long lasting difficulties for which the Local Authority may agree an Educational Health Care Plan. This describes all your child’s special educational needs and the special help your child will receive.

We will involve you fully in all aspects of your child’s progress and development at school.  We will talk to you at the earliest stages if we think your child may have special educational needs of any kind.  We also encourage you to let us know if you are concerned about any aspects of your child’s learning or behaviour.   

Individual One Plan  

Any child identified as having a Special Educational Need and Disability (SEND) will be placed on the school SEND register and a One Plan will be drafted. The One Plans are overseen by the school Inclusion Leader.  The One Plan will set their outcomes and achievements for the term and detail the support your child needs. When a One Plan is needed, you will be invited to meet with your child’s teacher and, in some instances, the Inclusion Leader (INCO) to discuss your child’s plan. The One Plan process helps to share the views of the child, parents and the school. We find that with the help and co-operation of parents or carers and with everyone working together, the majority of children make good progress.

Special Physical Needs

We moved into our current school building in April 2012 which is all on one level for wheelchair access.   We also have disabled toilet facilities within the school building. For children with limited mobility requiring a wheelchair, who need to come to school by car, there is a disabled parking space with ramp access to the main doors.  

Behaviour Management Plan (BMP)  

If the learning difficulties arise from a child’s behaviour, a Behaviour Management Plan (BMP) will be put in place. This usually includes the support of the Learning Mentor. 
Emotional Wellbeing  

The school highly values the Emotional Wellbeing of all children. In addition to in class support, the school provide Learning Mentor support for children who may have particular behavioural or emotional needs. Support is provided where ever it is needed throughout the day: this may be in class or during break and lunchtimes.

For children who have a higher level of Emotional Needs we may talk with parents about referring them to the school’s independent counselling service, Harbour Counselling.

For children with the highest level of Emotional Needs, we will liaise with parents and refer to Essex Child and Adolescent Mental Health service (EHWMS).

Working with parents

You have a vital role in supporting your child's education, so we listen carefully to your views and to the wishes of your child.  

If you have any concerns about the support in place for your child, first talk to your child’s class teacher. This is the most effective way of working out any misunderstandings. It is important that parents work with the school as much as they can. You can also speak with the School Inclusion Leader, Deputy Inclusion Leader or Head Teacher if you need to.

You may also find it useful to talk to other parents through your local parent partnership service, or to link up with local and national voluntary organisations and parents' groups.

Our local authority has a duty to provide information, advice and support for parents of children with SEN and will have details of local services. Alternatively this information can also be found through the National Parent Partnership Network (NPPN).

Most parent partnership services should offer you:

• access to a confidential telephone helpline 

• impartial information and advice around SEN issues

• support in preparing for and attending meetings

• help in filling in forms and writing letters/reports

• contact details for other statutory and voluntary services

• links to local parent support groups and forums

• the chance to submit your views, which will help inform and influence local policy and practice

• training opportunities.